About Me

My Photo
San Diego, California, United States
Hi Everyone! My name is Courtney and I love to cook! This is my life!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Auntie Noni's Crockpot Tortilla Soup

Bailey Lynn & Auntie Noni. Man time flies!
Afternoon all! 

So I personally think that the crock pot is the greatest invention known to man! I love cooking and spend hours in my kitchen doing it (I did 7 hours yesterday haha, oops) it can be really therapeutic to listen to music and get to creating, BUT sometimes after a long day at work the LAST thing I want to do is stand on my feet for another hour making dinner! It is also particularly nice because I can just text Joe when I am at work what to throw in there and turn it on and its easy enough for him and way less work for me (; 


Kaiden now & baby Kaiden! Awwww (:

Kaiden with Uncle Joe & Baby Wyatt! Our newest edition, March 2013
For all of you who know me, you know that I am Auntie Noni to my two adorable and wild nephews Kaiden & Wyatt and my sassy and beautiful niece Bailey Lynn! Moving to San Diego was really hard on me because I used to see Bailey everyday. I remember crying just at the sight of her pictures I had hanging EVERYWHERE in the apartment and I would say to Joe I hope she doesn't forget me :( It is truly amazing how much love you can hold in your heart for one (or three) little person(s). She definitely has me in the palm of her hands. The best part about moving here though was being closer to My sister, brother-in-law, Kaiden and Wyatt so I try to focus on the fact that I get to build a relationship with my nephews now like I have with Bailey and I still see her once a week on FaceTime (thank goodness for modern technology!). If I ever opened a restaurant (which is a dream I have along with many, MANY others) I would base my menu on family recipes like my Grandpa's DELICIOUS garlic bread (maybe one day I will post that for all of you!), so that is how this recipe got its name because it is an Auntie Noni Specialty! Hope you enjoy it and if you have any little people in your life, give them an extra "hug squeeze", as Bailey would say, because they grow up way to fast! xxxCourt 

Serves 7-8 (Great for dinner parties!) - Serving size 1 Cup - 268 Calories & 6
His & Hers! Can you guess which one is mine?!
WW PointsPlus


Ingredients:
  • 2 (4 oz) Boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2 cup Black beans (I soak mine over night but drained and rinsed canned black beans with no added salt is perfectly okay!)
  • 3 Coves garlic
  • 1/2 Large onion (or two small any color is fine!)
  • 1 cup Corn (I use frozen organic its cheap and easy)
  • 1 can of Crushed tomatoes (no added salt)
  • 1 Lime juiced
  • 1 cup Low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 cup Water
  • 1 tsp seasoning salt (I use Low-Sodium Morton's)
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 - 1 whole seeded jalapeno (optional, keep seeds in if you like it really spicy!) 
Instructions:

For Crockpot: 
You guessed it! Joe's!

  1. Throw everything in EXCEPT the corn and jalapeno give it a stir and turn it on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours. 
  2. Add remaining ingredients 30 minutes before serving.
  3. Top with 1/4 an avocado and a few corn tortilla chips or even some low-fat cheese and shredded lettuce! The possibilities are endless! I always shake some tapatio on mine to spice it up even more! 
  4. Enjoy!


For Stove Top: 
Trying to watch my figure, no cheese or chips! Go me!


  1. Bake or grill chicken all the way through (350 degrees for 30 minutes covered or grilling for 30 minutes!) remove from juices and shred.
  2. Bring all other ingredients (EXCEPT jalapeno and corn) in a large pot to a boil 
  3. Add shredded chicken and then simmer for 1-3 hours partially covered
  4. Add jalapeno and corn 30 minutes before serving.
  5. If soup gets too reduced (thick) add water to loosen up (only add 1/4 cup at a time to not OVER add).
  6. Enjoy!

Happy Cooking!

No comments :

Post a Comment