About Me

My Photo
San Diego, California, United States
Hi Everyone! My name is Courtney and I love to cook! This is my life!

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Veggie-Kale Egg Fluffs!

Hey there everyone!

Did you know there is a nutritional scale for all fruits and vegetables called
Delicious AND Nutritious! 
"ANDI"?
  Aggregate Nutrient Density Index is what it stands for and it basically rates foods from 1-1000 (1 being the worst and 1000 being the best) and the goal is to help people like you and me pick the foods that have the most benefits by eating them rather than ones that don't.

Basically what I am trying to get at is that Kale is 1000! Now if you ever have tried kale its honestly not the most delicious thing in the world. I was talking with my neighbor Andy and I think she said it best "it is an acquired taste". I didn't want the fact that I don't like it to keep me from eating it so I have been on a mission to find ways to consume it without having to actually taste it! Juicing it is a
SO PRETTY, HUH?!
great way to sneak it in but you only get a tiny bit. So I thought I will put it in our smoothies and blend it in, well that didn't work because the kale beat up my magic bullet :( (I am getting a new blender soon though!). So I when I learned you could make eggs in the oven in muffin tins I figured I would try adding kale, and guess what its DELICIOUS!!!! I couldn't believe the taste of these bad boys!! Not to mention its great for a quick breakfast or snack. I hope you guys try to include kale in your weekly diet and let me know if you have found some sneaky ways to make it taste better! xxxCourt

I ate them with 1/4 of an avocado and hot sauce! YUM!

Recipe makes 11-12 total - Serving size 1 Fluff - 70 Calories & 2 WW PointsPlus (if you have a non-stick muffin tin then you can take out the EVOO and it drops to 41 Calories & 1 WW PointsPlus)

Ingredients:

  • 10 Cherry tomatoes (cut them into thirds)
  • 1/2 Green bell pepper (diced)
  • 1/2 Orange bell pepper (diced)
  • 1/4 Zucchini (diced)
  • 2 tbsp Onion (diced & any color you have is fine)
  • 1 Clove Garlic (chopped fine or I use my garlic press)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 7 Egg Whites 
  • 2 tbsp Low Fat Milk (I used 1%)
  • 1 oz Mozzarella cheese (I used one string cheese cut up into small pieces)
  • 2 cups COOKED Kale (instructions below)
  • 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
  • 3 tsp EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)


Steps:
Did you know store bought sprays contain SILICON?! Eww.


  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Chop up and prep all your veggies.
  3. Clean and chop kale then place in microwavable bowl and cook on high for 2 minutes (it should shrink down to about half its size).
  4. In separate bowl crack 2 eggs and 7 egg whites. 
  5. Add black pepper, milk, onion and garlic to the eggs and light beat them together.
  6. Lightly coat the muffin tins with EVOO to prevent your fluffs from sticking. (I use my Misto Oil Sprayer you can fill it with ANY type of oil you choose and there are no additives unlike like store bought sprays!)
  7. Pour about 1/4 cup of the egg mixture into the 11-12 lightly oiled muffin slots.
  8. Evenly add the veggies and cheese to each muffin slot with the egg mixture in them.
  9. Place the tins filled with the veggies and eggs in the oven for 16 minutes and serve immediately or let completely cool before putting in the fridge. 
    Best way to store!
***To store I recommend placing fluffs in layers inside some Tupperware with paper towels in-between each layer because the egg whites can release a lot of water. 

To eat after cooled pop in the microwave for 45 seconds and enjoy!!

Happy Creating!

No comments :

Post a Comment